PCO Licence Jobs
If you want to work as a Private Hire Driver or Chauffeur in London then you’ll need to get your PCO Licence. Without this then you won’t be able to work so get your PCO Licence application sent off asap.
Most people who get their PCO Licence are looking to work as a Minicab driver or Chauffeur. There’s still plenty of demand for PCO Licensed Drivers as more and more people are ditching their own cars in favour of public transport. Having a PCO licence opens up so many opportunities in times where work is often hard to come by.
PCO Licence Jobs: Mincab Driver
As a minicab driver you will have the greatest flexibility in deciding when you want to work and the hours you put in. Most of your journeys will be short and can involve waiting for a call from the office with details of your next fare. If you enjoy driving, meeting new people, and getting out of the office, then becoming a minicab driver could be the job for you. Please note, all mincab work has to be pre-booked.
PCO Licence Work: Airport Transfers
If you don’t mind motorway miles then working for an airport transfer company is another good job for someone with a PCO licence. You will put in a lot of miles in the job and it will require a car with plenty of boot space. The nature of these transfers will always mean good fares and tourists will often give big tip too! Yet again, these fares are all pre-booked.
PCO Licence Jobs: Chauffeurs.
Being a chauffeur has the same PCO Licence requirements as a minicab driver but there are several differences:
- Booking far in advance – Where as minicab drivers will get bookings minutes in advance, a Chauffeur will often be booked up weeks in advance due to the demands of their clients. Some of whom may wish to have use of a Chauffeur all day. Time-keeping is especially important in this instance.
- Dress Code – A Chauffeur should always be dressed smartly and this usually involves wearing a dark suit, white shirt, and a conservative tie.
- Newer Vehicle – If you are working as a Chauffeur and using your own vehicle then it must be a fairly new model and also be a high-end make e.g. Mercedes S Class, BMW 7 Series, etc. It is also essential that the car is kept clean both inside and out. Please note, all Chauffeur work has to be pre-booked.
PCO Licence Jobs: Mobile Phone Apps.
It’s no doubt mobile apps are now taking over the Minicab & Chauffeur Industry. It’s a case of either embrace it or fall behind. Drivers are in a win win situation. Potentially you can be listed with several apps and receive work from all of them. The great thing about mobile apps is that you basically only pay commission for jobs carried out as apposed to paying a set rent to an office. However, this kind of approach will only suite some people and not others.
Wearing a Private Hire Vehicle (PHV) driver badge
All private hire drivers are required to wear their driver badge during private hire duties.
There are exemptions from doing so if:
- Wearing a badge presents a specific risk
- The passenger requests that the driver refrain from wearing a badge